Market News Today 2019-01-30
2019-1-30 10:01 | By : Mex Group News
- The US dollar inched up on Tuesday, despite confidence among U.S. consumers falling to a one-and-a-half-year low in January.
- Theresa May has told MPs she will seek to re-open negotiations with the EU over the Northern Ireland backstop.
- U.K. lawmakers on Tuesday rejected an amendment to extend the deadline for the UK to leave the European Union.
- The U.S. has escalated its attacks on China’s Huawei Technologies right before high-level talks on a broader trade dispute, risking muddying the waters as top commerce negotiator Liu He arrives in Washington.
- Venezuela's opposition leader has told the BBC that people are living in a "dictatorship", and renewed his calls for fresh elections. The US and about 20 other countries have recognised him
U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said that if China presents enough trade concessions to President Donald Trump, there’s a chance the administration may lift all tariffs.
- Oil prices finished higher on Tuesday, getting a boost in the wake of the U.S. Treasury’s decision to impose sanctions on Venezuela’s state-owned oil firm.
- Gold futures on Tuesday finished higher for a third straight session as haven support from geopolitical risks helped the metal shake off pressure from some gains in global stock markets and a steady dollar.